Sunday, August 7, 2011

Late 2007 MacBook Pro video card defect

My 2.2GHz MacBook Pro (late 2007) suddenly threw me a kernel panic a couple of weeks ago when I came home after it had been on for the evening. Upon shutting down the mac and booting up again, a strange pattern of gray lines started appearing right after the Apple logo appeared. Within a few more seconds, a crazy pattern of gray and black lines were on the screen and another kernel panic had appeared. This was not good, but as long as my hard drive was not dead, I knew I would survive.

Unfortunately I did not snap a photo before taking my mac in to the local Apple authorized repair center. Another blogger Irrashi had the images below on his post MBP: Distorted Video Problem, which are very similar to the scrambled video and following kernel panic I saw when my mac was having the video problem.








The video card was defective, as with many other MacBook Pro models from 2007-2008, and the repair was done completely free of charge and my laptop was ready for pickup the next day.

Apple requires their authorized technicians to ship back the faulty part within 48 hours of completing the repair. This makes it tough for small businesses that have only one or two technicians, but it does mean that you'll get your mac repaired very quickly if you ever need to take it in.

Learn More:
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues - Apple.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comments in English will be considered. Thank you!